If your project or organization meets our granting requirements, we encourage you to apply.
We encourage you to contact us for application assistance or with questions.
For alternative funding sources, please visit Funders for LGBTQ Issues. Funders for LGBTQ Issues maintains a directory of organizations that have provided financial support to LGBTQ programs.
Basics of Grant Writing
Some of the key qualities needed for a successful grant application include: 1) follow the grant application instructions; 2) be clear and concise; and 3) avoid jargon.
Here are some primary pages we’ve drawn from for an overview of grant writing.
- Grantspace, a service of the Foundation Center, is a comprehensive resource site for nonprofit fundraising information. They have an online classroom that hosts a range of web-based courses, many of them free (after you register on their site). They also have sample documents available (cover letters, proposals, letters of inquiry, etc.), which can be useful as you create your own proposals.
- The Foundation Center also hosts Cooperating Collections, which are free funding information centers in libraries, community foundations, and other nonprofit resource centers that provide a core collection of Foundation Center publications and a variety of supplementary materials and services in areas useful to grant seekers. Go here to find a location near you.
- GIFT, or Grassroots Institute for Fundraising Training, is a well-respected technical assistance organization providing hands-on and accessible fundraising support. They have done extensive work in communities of color, and their resources online, including webinars and some articles in Spanish, are plentiful. Expect to pay a small fee for each resource (often $3-$20), but you can sign up for regular fundraising tips here.
- Writing a Grant Application for Funding from the Community Toolbox.
- Anatomy of a Grant Proposal, a collection of articles and examples from Guidestar.
- Proposal Writing: A short course is proposal writing from The Foundation Center
- Knowledge Base: How to Write a Proposal, a collections of articles and resources from Grantspace.
- Sample Grant Proposals, LOIs, Cover Letters, Project Budgets, and Other Documents from Grantspace.
- How to write a case statement.
Budgets & Financial Management
- StrongNonprofits.org, a web-based toolkit of free resources is designed to help nonprofits understand and manage their financial health.
- Program Based Budget Builder: Tool for building a nonprofit organization’s budget
Several sites offer multiple webinars/audio training related to fundraising:
- Before You Seek a Grant: A Checklist for New Nonprofits, from Grants Space, Free.
- Proposal Writing Basics Webinar, from Grants Space, Free.
- Grantspace. Registration required.
- GIFT Search for multimedia trainings on demand – Registration and payment required.
- Care2. Registration required, and be aware that they do a bit of advertising for their services within the webinars. Still solid, useful information.
- Fundraising for Social Change by Kim Klein
- Grassroots Grants: An Activist’s Guide to Grantseeking by Andy Robinson
- Storytelling for Grantseekers: A Guide to Creative Nonprofit Fundraising by Cheryl A. Clarke