Creating A World Where All Women Can Thriveon March 8th, 2018 at 4:40 pm
International Women’s Day is an opportunity to not only celebrate all of the incredible women in our communities and the advances in equality we have made together, but to also raise awareness of the issues that LGBTQ women continue to face every day—particularly queer and transgender women of color, LGBTQ women with disabilities, and LGBTQ immigrants.
Throughout the Northwest and the entire world, women who hold these identities often experience additional barriers to opportunities and other resources due to the compounded discrimination and bias they experience because of their sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, race, or immigration status.
Together though, I know we can create a world where all women can feel a sense of belonging, where we all can be ourselves, where we all have opportunities to thrive, and where we all are valued.
This International Women’s Day, we hope you will join us in lifting up the voices and stories of the incredible women who have made such significant impacts on our communities.
Below are some of the things we are enjoying reading today that are highlighting women who are changing the world locally, regionally, and nationally.
- Five Activists Who Are Inspiring Change Around the World
- International Women’s Day: Janet Mock’s Message to the World
- The Lesbian Vloggers Teaching Queer Teens How to Have Better, Safer Sex
- 15 Trans Women and Non-Binary Activists You Should Be Learning About in History Class
- 10 Organizations to Support on International Women’s Day
- Intersectional Women’s Day
Happy International Women’s Day!
Kris Hermanns is CEO at Pride Foundation. Email Kris.