Racial Equity Initiative – Board Development
A Board of a nonprofit is the guiding hand that supports an organization in thinking well and making sound good decisions for the benefit of its community.
A Board of Directors is responsible for strategic direction and support of key staff – and if a working Board, serving as staff, too! – so a healthy and well functioning Board is essential to any well-run organization.
Here you’ll find resources on recruiting, supporting and retaining a strong Board of Directors.
Go To Pages
Check out these primary pages we’ve drawn from for a comprehensive view of Board Development.
- The Council of Nonprofits has a wonderful play-by-play guide for creating a strong Board. You can find it here.
- The Free Management Library is an exhaustive resource for many issues related to nonprofits. Their All About Boards of Directors section is no different. Check it out.
- BoardSource is another comprehensive site for all things Board related. Here’s the link to the resource page.
- Sample job descriptions.
- Recruiting new members.
- Board member contract.
- Board orientation.
- Nonprofit Board By-Laws.
- Attend an interactive, animated virtual conference to learn about nonprofit board service! Hosted by CompassPoint.
- Blue Avocado is a free online magazine for all-things nonprofit. A really useful resource for Board members to read and discuss together.
- Answers to 185 Board related questions.
- Different Types of Governance Models. Discussion of different types of Boards.
- Board Passages: Three Key Stages in a Nonprofit Board’s Life.
- Difference Between Board and Staff Roles.
- What is the Board’s responsibility in fundraising?
Go back to the Grantee Resource page.